Hold Care Facilities to Task with a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer for Peoria IL
We only want the best for our loved ones. So, if it comes time to consider placing a family member in a care facility, we want to make sure they are being adequately cared for. However, unfortunate scenarios can arise where your loved one is being abused or neglected in the facility they now reside. If you suspect your loved one is suffering due to care providers’ negligence, talk with a nursing home abuse lawyer for Peoria IL. Stephens Fiddes McGill & Associates, P.C. can pursue legal action for you and your family’s sake.
What Causes Nursing Home Negligence and Abuse
Nursing home negligence is a problem throughout the country but can be especially egregious in Illinois. And while many cases of negligence or abuse can be traced to the actions of specific care providers, not every abuse case is malicious. Reasons for nursing home negligence include:
- Understaffing – In some unfortunate scenarios, for-profit care facilities put income and revenue above the care of their residents. As such, staffing shortages can lead to the needs of residents being overlooked.
- Improper Training – Another result of profit over care can be hiring ill-qualified individuals to manage a care facility. If not properly trained, care professionals can inadvertently harm the residents under their care.
- Not Following Industry Guidelines – There are laws in place to ensure the protection of residents in a care facility or nursing home. However, these laws and guidelines are sometimes ignored to cut corners in the operation of a facility. Thus, this results in the harm or neglect of residents.
- Malicious Intent – The abuse or neglect of a caregiver can be direct and malicious, intentionally causing a resident physical harm or emotional distress.
Identifying Elder Abuse
No matter the reasons behind a care facility’s misoperation, they must be held liable for any harm, physical or otherwise, that befalls their residents. As such, a nursing home abuse lawyer for Peoria IL will identify specific cases of elder abuse, such as:
- Physical Abuse – The direct harm or injury of an individual
- Emotional Abuse – The act of controlling an individual by shaming, embarrassing, criticizing or otherwise manipulating them
- Sexual Abuse – The act of engaging in sexual acts with an individual without their consent
- Financial Exploitation – When money, property or assets of an individual are taken in an improper or illegal manner
- And More – Other types of abuse or neglect include passive neglect, willful deprivation, confinement, etc.
Local Legal Assistance
In addition to our work as a nursing home abuse lawyer for Peoria IL, Stephens Fiddes McGill & Associates manages other personal injury cases. Such claims we manage include dog bites, auto accidents, truck accidents, and more. Also, our law firm manages numerous legal practices to best assist clients throughout Central Illinois with all their legal needs. Such practices include:
- Bankruptcy Law
- Criminal Law
- Family Law
- Probate Law
- Real Estate Law
- Social Security Disability
- Traffic Law
- Workers’ Compensation
Give Us a Call
Do what’s right for your loved ones by hiring the services of a nursing home neglect lawyer for Peoria IL. Call Stephens Fiddes McGill & Associates, P.C. today at 309-637-5297 to schedule a free consultation. Also, we are located at 456 Fulton St, Ste 222, Peoria, IL 61602.