Lawyer Near Me for Bankruptcy Law in Dunlap IL
The law firm of Stephens Fiddes McGill and Associates, P.C. can provide you with a lawyer who specializes in bankruptcy law in Dunlap IL. Representing yourself is an option when it comes to bankruptcy cases. However, studies show that filers representing themselves are 10 times more likely to have their debt discharge requests denied or their cases dismissed. Request a free consultation with us if any of the following applies to you.
- You are tired of being contacted by debt collectors.
- A bankruptcy attorney can communicate with debt collectors on your behalf. That way, you will not need to receive further embarrassing or harassing phone calls.
- You are worried about making a mistake on paperwork.
- Small mistakes on paperwork required by the court during a bankruptcy case can hurt your chances of receiving a favorable ruling. A bankruptcy lawyer can prepare legal documents for you.
- You feel uncomfortable handling your bankruptcy by yourself.
- Court proceedings are intimidating. A bankruptcy lawyer can guide you through the whole process and help reduce your stress.
Contact us today to request a free consultation.
Important Information about Bankruptcy Law in Dunlap IL
Six types of bankruptcy exist under the United States Bankruptcy Code. However, most individuals file under Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Meanwhile, Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases help businesses drop or restructure debt payments. Here are some important distinctions with these cases under bankruptcy law in Dunlap IL.
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy
- It is commonly known as liquidation bankruptcy. It helps individuals unable to make monthly payments on credit cards, medical bills, personal loans, utility bills, phone bills, car loans, and mortgages. Also, it is important to understand student loans, tax payments, debts from divorce proceedings, court fines, and money you owe the government cannot be dismissed.
- Chapter 13 Bankruptcy
- In these cases, a court approves payment plans for debtors to repay creditors over a three or five-year period. When the debts are repaid, debtors are no longer responsible for them. This kind of bankruptcy can allow debtors to keep a home in foreclosure that they could lose under a Chapter 7 filing.
- Chapter 11 Bankruptcy
- These cases can allow small businesses to discharge debts other than tax debt.
How Can a Bankruptcy Lawyer Help Me?
Our bankruptcy lawyer can provide you with legal advice and explain complex issues involving bankruptcy law in Dunlap IL. Stephens Fiddes McGill & Associates bankruptcy attorneys can provide you with qualified advice about the following issues:
- Whether you should file for bankruptcy
- The type of bankruptcy for which you should file
- Details about the stages of the bankruptcy process
- Preparation of court-provided forms that you will need
- What kinds of debt you can and cannot eliminate
- Whether you can keep your home, car, or other property after the bankruptcy case comes to a resolution
Other Areas of Practice
In addition to bankruptcy law in Dunlap IL, our firm can help represent you in court or provide advice on the following kinds of cases:
- Auto Accidents
- Criminal Defense
- DUI Defense
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Nursing Home Abuse
- Real Estate
- Social Security Disability
- Traffic Violations
- Workers Compensation
Contact Our Local Bankruptcy Lawyers
You do not need to go through things alone if you need help with bankruptcy law in Dunlap IL. Stephens Fiddes McGill and Associates bankruptcy attorneys can guide you through the entire process. Call now at 309-637-5297 or contact us online to request a free consultation.